- RSS Channel Showcase 4267361
- RSS Channel Showcase 6480079
- RSS Channel Showcase 7280502
- RSS Channel Showcase 8195951
Articles on this Page
- 11/20/15--13:36: _LETTER: A well done...
- 11/23/15--06:37: _LETTER TO THE EDITO...
- 11/30/15--00:40: _DAVID A. LaFOND: Sp...
- 03/22/16--15:37: _LETTERS TO THE EDIT...
- 03/24/16--13:43: _LETTER TO THE EDITO...
- 08/12/16--12:05: _LETTER TO THE EDITO...
- 03/27/17--07:27: _LETTER TO THE EDITO...
- 03/27/17--16:56: _ANOTHER OPINION: St...
- 04/02/17--11:40: _LETTER TO THE EDITO...
- 04/19/17--06:07: _LETTER TO THE EDITO...
- 05/16/17--06:53: _LETTER TO THE EDITO...
- 06/28/17--08:59: _LETTER TO THE EDITO...
- 07/31/17--22:01: _ JIM PERRY, Stought...
- 08/11/17--11:06: _LETTER TO THE EDITO...
- 08/11/17--11:07: _LETTER TO THE EDITO...
- 08/16/17--15:52: _JULIE HU, Stoughton...
- 08/28/17--09:03: _LETTERS TO THE EDIT...
- 08/25/17--14:00: _What you need to kn...
- 08/25/17--13:23: _Massachusetts seeks...
- 08/28/17--12:48: _Cars We Remember: Y...
- 11/20/15--13:36: LETTER: A well done roast in Stoughton
- 11/23/15--06:37: LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Fr. Phil - the passing of a friend
- 11/30/15--00:40: DAVID A. LaFOND: Sprinklers save lives
- 03/22/16--15:37: LETTERS TO THE EDITOR: Thanks for a great STOYAC year
- 03/24/16--13:43: LETTER TO THE EDITOR: On gun control and the Stoughton shooting
- 08/12/16--12:05: LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Get the word out about state Senate election
- 03/27/17--07:27: LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Pot shop ban a bad idea for Stoughton
- 03/27/17--16:56: ANOTHER OPINION: Stoughton selectman calls for honesty on the board
- 04/02/17--11:40: LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Pot shop ban a good idea for Stoughton
- 04/19/17--06:07: LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Take care of Stoughton firefighters
- 05/16/17--06:53: LETTER TO THE EDITOR: We did it for Diane!
- 06/28/17--08:59: LETTER TO THE EDITOR: A Fourth of July memory in Stoughton
- 07/31/17--22:01: JIM PERRY, Stoughton: Train crossings need traffic lights
- 08/28/17--09:03: LETTERS TO THE EDITOR: Thank you, Ann Azul
- 08/25/17--14:00: What you need to know to be a responsible renter, landlord, neighbor
- 08/25/17--13:23: Massachusetts seeks waiver from MCAS-Alt limit
To the Editor:Last week the Stoughton Chamber of Commerce put on their Annual Roast. This year Retired Fire Chief Mark Dolloff was the Roastee and we had six Roasters, along with our Emcee, stoking the coals until he was well done! The Roasters included: Acting Fire Chief Greg Goldberg; Police Chief Paul Shastany; SHS Hall of Fame Inductee (and Mark's best friend) David Horrigan; Past Selectwoman Cynthia Walsh; Retired Recreation Dept. (and English teacher) [...]
The passing of a friend To the Editor:There was a notice in the papers this week of the passing of Father Phil Conroy of Cambridge, MA. I met Fr. Phil in the 70s at St Gerard Majella parish at the weekly prayer meetings they had there on Tuesday nights. I remember the first time I went to the prayer meeting and mass they had there. I was first invited by my wife’s family – [...]
The fire in Stoughton on Nov. 23 shines a light on the effectiveness of a properly installed and maintained fire sprinkler system as a life and property saving device ("Sprinklers credited for averting fire disaster in Stoughton," Nov. 23).While nothing can replace the presence of highly trained and heroic firefighters, in structures that feature these systems the risk to those brave men and women are often mitigated, allowing them more time [...]
To the Editor:The championship basketball games in the STOYAC Rec league will be played this week from grades 3 to high school for both boys and girls.I am particularly interested in the 8th Grade boys teams that I have been watching for these past several years. I’ve seen them develop and get better every year. The Travel Team in the 8th grade went 13 -2 this year, a huge improvement over the 4-10 seasons [...]
To the Editor:As a lifelong resident of Stoughton, I’m scared and saddened to hear about the 27 bullets fired this past weekend at the Courtyard Marriott. This isn’t a gun issue anymore, this is a public safety issue. A man was put into the hospital. Shots were fired in a public place. What would have happened if a guest was struck in the head by a stray bullet? Or if this occurred near a park, or a school? I’m not arguing a complete ban on guns, [...]
Get the word out about state Senate electionTo the Editor:I am not surprised that so little interest appears in the local body politic for our upcoming Primary Election on Thursday, September 8, 2016, a mere five weeks from now. But for residents of Stoughton, Canton, Milton, Randolph and Easton, there is a contest that remains under the radar, and I suggest that the local news media should embrace the opportunity to arouse the electorate to [...]
To the Editor:On Tuesday, April 4, Stoughton voters will have the choice to ban regulated marijuana dispensaries from our town. This ban is a bad idea, and I urge you to vote against this ban.For decades, the government has forbidden the cultivation and sale of cannabis, based not on research but on racial hysteria. The War on Drugs was designed mostly to target Latinos and blacks, and it accomplished nothing.Remember alcohol prohibition? [...]
Chief Donna McNamara will have a long and successful career leading our Police Department, but during a forum held March 9 on SMAC, David Sousa, a candidate for re-election and chairman of the board, stated that “members” of the board had either delayed the police chief search or intend to reopen it in three years. These are total fabrications, so a dose of transparency is in order. The new chief should have been selected last June, but it took 13 months [...]
Pot shop ban a good idea for StoughtonTo the Editor:This letter is in response to last week’s Letter to the Editor, which argued for a “No” vote on the April 4 (“pot shop”) ballot question, which would ban marijuana dispensaries in Stoughton. A marijuana dispensary in Stoughton would be detrimental to our residents. With easier access to (now legal) marijuana we can expect a big increase [...]
To the Editor: We desperately and humbly ask for your support this year as it pertains to the staffing shortage in public safety.We need the support of the community we serve to prevent extremely dangerous staffing levels from affecting the community's safety and the safety of Firefighters and Police Officers. We cannot allow this problem to go [...]
To the Editor:Well, after 3 months of planning for our 12th annual Doin' It For Diane Fundraiser for our food pantries we had another successful event, raising over $15,000. We couldn't have done this event without the help from the following:Food Pantry Foundation of Stoughton Committee: Chris Petrie ~ Huggard & Ewing; Maria Pimentel ~ RAH Federal credit Union; Stoughton Chamber; Jill Page ~ Island Street [...]
To the Editor:In the 70’s, my house on Park Street was the perfect place for family to celebrate the 4th with a barbecue in the backyard, then up to the front porch for the parade.After too much good food, we could hear the fire engines signaling the start of the parade so all three generations of the family relocated to the front porch to test its tensile strength and sit in a mindless torpor in the sun as the parade went by.We watched [...]
TO THE EDITOR: Is there any reason traffic lights can’t be used at train crossings? Right near that Abington crossing Route 139 crosses Route 58, vehicles and pedestrians know to stop on red. If they don’t and an accident happens there is very little confusion as to why and how. Of course the lights at the train crossings would all have to have signs warning about no turns on red.I’ve seen all kinds of intersections controlled by traffic [...]
Recall 3 selectmen to stop bullying, backdoor dealsTo the Editor:Despite being a Stoughton resident and being involved off and on professionally in town for 35 years as a journalist, I have stayed neutral in town politics to avoid any conflicts of interest, but I am not staying on the sideline this time.I’m for the recall of selectmen chairman David Sousa, vice chairman Robert Cohn, and selectman Peter Brown.I hope you will [...]
Does your vote matter in selectmen recall effort?To the Editor:Does your vote matter? Should the minority members of the Board of Selectmen and their supporters nullify the votes of those who elected the three majority member of the Board of Selectmen? In an affidavit dated July 31st, 2017, Deborah Sovinee says that the three majority members should be recalled from office. She further says that they violated their oath of office, town charter and [...]
TO THE EDITOR:"Terrible twos," is a common nickname describing a child with unruly behavior. Yet, parents still don't understand the importance of protecting and providing care for each child. As toddlers age, parents purchase baby gates to prevent children from falling down the stairs. However, the safety of windows is not thought about, even when windows are a major part of a living space. Children under the age of 5 falling out of windows is an [...]
To the Editor: We just wanted to say "thank you" to Ann Azul for her cheerfulness, great personality, and delicious food during the years she owned Stoughton Bakery. Where else could you be greeted by name when you walked in, and asked how your family was and how things were going? Whether ordering the kale soup for lunch, pies for Thanksgiving, or a pastry, muffin, or cookie to go with your tea or coffee, you were never disappointed. [...]
THE ISSUE: Under state law, renters and landlords have defined legal rights and responsibilities.THE IMPACT: The laws will affect the thousands of Massachusetts residents who enter new leases on Sept. 1.
THE ISSUE: Some students with severe disabilities take an alternative to the MCAS.THE IMPACT: A new federal requirement caps the number of students who can take the alternative assessment, and Massachusetts is over that limit.
Q: Hi Greg. Recently our church and youth group was gifted with a 1956 Mercury Medalist and wondered why the front bumper has the spelling MERCrRY — note the lower case "r." We have elderly family members that pronounce Mercury’s without the "u" sound and wondered if that is why? Is this the model of the Mercury car? And, if our youth group restores this car do you know what the approximate value of a beauty like this will be? Our church is Vineyard of Faith [...]